Thursday, August 23, 2012

My strong-willed child

Today, we went for Leo's six month well visit, even though he is sick and it is late. We had to reschedule due to our trip. He was 19 lbs 10 ounces and 27.5 inches long. That is just above the 75th percentile for height and weight. He is healthy as can be--good skin, etc. I had a few questions for Dr. Roberts including why does he hold his breath some times. She said, "Bummer. You didn't know it, but he is your strong-willed child." She said that it will probably get worse before it gets better and that sometimes blowing air at his face might surprise him and make him breath. Hmmm... It's hard for me to believe he is my strong willed child since he is often so easy going.

I also asked about sleep. I've been so shocked by how badly he sleeps at night the past few weeks because after all of Olivia's sleep problems, I swore I wasn't going to make the same mistakes twice. Dr. Roberts didn't have a lot to say about the sleep except that it looks like we are going to have a fight on our hands if we try Ferber. (I had told her that we tried it at five months, but he screamed for more than two hours several nights in a row. Since I didn't think that was normal, I intervened at that point. We had been checking on him at the appointed intervals, too, of course.) She said that would have to be willing to let him cry for a lot longer than two hours, and that we would have to remember that whatever time we had in our mind, he would have a stronger will than we. That sounds awful! She also said we don't have to do Ferber.

Since reintroducing the late afternoon nap, things are looking up. I had taken it away because he had been refusing it. He slept 30 minutes yesterday and today around 5 PM, and I think it helped him get through the rest of the evening. I am hopeful about his sleep. I have ordered some pacifiers that are supposed to be for breastfeeding babies that I hope he takes. As of now, I am kind of a human pacifier and I hate it. He will also use a bottle with water in it as a paci, but that is not really a great habit, either. Alas, at least things are looking up a little!

1 comment :