Monday, November 7, 2011

18 month well visit


Can you believe my girl is 18 months old today? Whoa! Time flies! She's in 18-month (if they are big)/24-month/2T clothes depending on the fit, and she is wearing a size 6.5/7 shoe depending on the fit. Here are the stats:


  • 26 lbs (75th percentile)
  • 34.5 inches (98th percentile)
  • head circumference I've already forgotten, but it's 75th percentile


    Here are the milestones we checked off:

  • Knows her body parts -- head, hands, eyes, nose, mouth, cheeks, feet, belly, bottom, legs, knees, and back.
  • Drinks from a cup and uses a fork.
  • Uses 15 words. (She has at least 50.)
  • Follows simple directions.


    And here are the answers to my questions:

  • Dr. Roberts recommends getting rid of the pacifier by age 2. We talked about timing since baby brother is coming along, and she said to go ahead and work on getting the pacifier down to comfort times--bedtime, naptime, and when she is hurt. Then take it away. Try "breaking" them by cutting them or "forgetting" them when we go on a trip and not have them when we come home.
  • Olivia has started hitting Ringo. I know this is because he is back from his training camp and I am always correcting him by saying "No" and then using his pinch prong collar. But, hitting is unacceptable, so I asked Dr. Roberts about discipline at this age. We're going with a "No, Olivia, we do not hit" and removing her from the situation. Dr. Roberts said we can start trying 30-second to 1-minute time outs.
  • Potty training. Yes, I know it is early, but Olivia tells me when she poops and pees. Dr. Roberts said to get a potty and set Olivia on it before bath, bedtime, and first thing in the morning. If she resists, don't fight. Try again later.
  • Toddler bed. Dr. Roberts said that she had two patients that day who on their first attempt to get out of their crib, broke their arms. So, whenever Olivia shows signs of escaping (putting leg up to try to get out, pulling herself over the bar, etc.) it's time for a toddler bed. Thankfully, she is not there yet.



    I am posting the next picture to show how Olivia has a MIND OF HER OWN! I wanted her to wear black dress shoes with this outfit, but she refused--cried and fussed. I figured it wasn't a battle worth fighting, so I let her wear the pink tennis shoes she wanted. I wanted to get a picture of the band-aid on her thigh from her tetanus shot, but she peeled it off as I was taking the picture.

  • 2 comments :

    1. Well, to be fair, the pink tennis shoes really complete that outfit :)

      ReplyDelete
    2. I agree - I think the pink shoes go well with the outfit. :-)

      ReplyDelete