Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Ferber update and more silly Olivia

Night three (Sunday) was frustrating. Lots of up and down. It didn't take Leo long to get back to sleep each time, but the fact that he was up so much was tiring. I held off nursing for 8.5 hours. Night four (Monday) was the best so far. He went to bed awake after our bedtime routine with NO crying and fell asleep on his own in his crib with his little stuffed lion. I held off nursing from 8 PM to 5 AM, but he was up at midnight and three and required one check at the 12 minute mark on both occasions, but fell back to sleep on his own before the next 15 minute check. I thought he was going to be up after the 5 AM nursing, but he went back to sleep and I let him. He took two naps falling asleep on his own today. (The bad thing about this sleep schedule stuff is that it is making me stick to his 10 AM and 2 PM nap schedule, so Olivia misses gymnastics and story time on Tuesdays and Thursdays, respectively. We went to CHOM today after Leo's nap, so it was no problem, though.) Tonight Leo went to sleep with very little crying. He was not crying at the 15 minute mark when it was time to check on him, so there were no interventions for him to go to sleep. The maybe not surprising thing about this night-weaning-sleep-in-your-own-crib business is that Leo has wanted to nurse a lot during the day. I guess we will cross that bridge (day weaning) when we come to it.

In other Leo news, he is really understanding a lot lately. Tonight at bath time, I asked him to put his dirty clothes in the laundry basket, and he did. (He's been doing that off and on for a month or so.) When Olivia asked for bubbles after dinner from the bubble machine, he walked over to the cabinet where we keep it, tried to pull it open, said "bubble" repeatedly, and then cried when he couldn't get it open. Then when I told him it was time for hugs and kisses from Daddy and Olivia, he walked over to them expectantly. And when I said it was time for bed, he walked to his room and tried to turn on the humidifier, which is what I do at the beginning of our "in the room" bedtime ritual. So cool!

And while Olivia was playing in her room while I was putting Leo down for his nap, she used the glue stick to stick lots of papers to her wall. When I saw it, I explained to her that that hurts the wall and that we would have to take them all down and wash the glue and stuck-on paper off. She said something very close to this, "Does it hurt our whole house? Will our house be weak? Will the big bad wolf come and huff and puff and blow our house down because I hurt the wall?" Ummm....no. Maybe I made too big a deal out of it!

4 comments :

  1. Sounds like Leo is growing up fast!! I love the Olivia quote too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you talked to Leo about sleeping through the night? Have you considered getting him a wake-up clock (I think Olivia has one?). Parents (including me) often underestimate what their kids can do and understand. If Leo is like Christopher, he wants to do things in his own way and on his own time, which is, of course, very frustrating... You might explain that he needs to sleep at night so that he can grow, and that he will soon be like Olivia who is a big kid for staying in her bed.
    It's worth a shot, anyway. We go through that battle occasionally with Christopher. Every time he gets sick, we go in in the middle of the night and then we backslide into the habit of him waking and calling for us... last night I reminded him that he needs to sleep, that's when he grows, and he managed to sleep through till his "clock turned green." We actually did it last night, and it worked. For one night, anyway!
    You're doing a great job. You really are doing a hard thing, and it will pay off. It's hard, but you can do it! I'm glad you are seeing progress!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're doing a great job! It sounds like everyone is on the mend and you've held it all together. Now you just need a little time for yourself. Where's that babysitter!

    Juliet, the French (according to books) do that too - try and rationalize with their kids. I love the idea of the wake-up clock. I'm going to have to borrow that idea.

    ReplyDelete