Monday, March 11, 2013

Spring?

Last week really felt like spring. The weather here was gorgeous! And we certainly enjoyed it by playing in the yard and going to our neighborhood playground a lot! I've got a lot of pictures from my phone to sum up the week:

On Thursday morning, Olivia had a dentist appointment. She was a little worried about the bright lights bothering her. When I told my sister Stephanie this on the phone while we chatted for a minute that morning, she suggested we take sunglasses. I, of course, forgot Olivia's sunglasses, but she wore mine and it was fine. I didn't get a photo of her in the dentist's chair with them on, but here is one of her in the car. (Yes, she is holding an egg carton. She wanted to take them to Grandma Clara, my grandma in Indiana who has laying hens.) Olivia did great at the dentist--no cavity club! And the dentist agrees with me about her paci--limit it as much as possible, but if you take it away and she starts to suck on her thumb, fingers, and wrist like she does...give it back and try again later.




Here we are at the playground that afternoon. Olivia loves helping Leo! And Leo loves to swing!



Leo discovered the backyard this week and wants to be out there all the time. He goes to the back door and bangs on it, or points outside, letting me know what he wants. He loves walking around out there and playing! And he navigates the terrain very well--very little falling down from the porch to the yard or back.


Olivia is beginning to get the pumping her legs concept so that she can swing on her own at the playground! This is great news so that I don't have to run between the "big girl swings" and the "baby swings."



Leo likes to ride the teter-toter and lift it up and down, and have me say up and down. He can say "up" and is working on saying "down." One of Leo's other favorite playground activities is playing with rocks and cups. I figure it is good for motor skills and language development as we talk about in and out and pouring rocks.



 Sunday afternoon while Leo was napping, Nicholas and Olivia went over to our neighbor's house to play in the backyard with their daughter who is six months older than Olivia. They have a great play set outside, and played for two hours! Leo and I joined them for the second hour. When we got back, the kids wanted more outside time, so Nicholas took them outside while I cooked dinner. This is what I saw out the back door! Signs of spring! (I had been refusing to "drag" Olivia for several days saying that the ground was too wet. Olivia is Daddy's girl! And Leo had a great time, too, obviously!)







Leo's sleep is a continuing journey. One night we don't hear a peep out of him from 8 PM to 5 AM, and then the next he wakes 12 times, but gets himself back to sleep most times. I'm still hopeful that I will soon be able to call him a "great sleeper!" He is learning new words all the time and really trying to talk. Today in Kindermusik he tried to say "boom" because that word was used a lot in one song.

And other Olivia funnies:

One night Olivia was playing with a UA pom-pom and decided to give me a "beauty appointment." We play that sometimes where she fixes my hair and says silly things. This was a new one, "Mommy, you need a punishment because your hair looks crazy!"

And another day Olivia was in a hurry for something, I can't remember what. She said to me, "I'm serious. Chop, chop!" Those are my exact words to her often when she is lolly gagging and I am trying to get us out the door. She is a good listener!




3 comments :

  1. We are also very happy spring is here!
    John and Christopher made "poison" out of leaves and a bucket of water to put in "traps" and on sticks.
    The next day they played pizza parlour with some boxes waiting to go to recycling.

    I love it that they love it outside!!! Hooray spring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you have spring there. They keep promising that we'll get it soon, but I'm starting to have doubts.

    Thanks for the update!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm envious of your spring too! It feels like it will never come up here :( Glad you and the kids are enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete