Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Up to Indiana and back

Olivia and I made the trek up to Indiana last Thursday. It was the first time I made that trip driving with Olivia alone. It was rough. We made horrible time because Olivia fussed so much and I stopped so much to try to appease her--almost hourly when she wasn't sleeping, which was only for 1.5 hours in the morning.

It was good to visit with my parents, my siblings, and their families. Friday we played with cousin Craig and Abby in the morning, Mom took Olivia to pet the horses, and then in the afternoon went with Craig, Abby, and Steph wading in the creek and using an old rope to swing into the deep part and jump in. (Olivia and I didn't do that since I am pregnant and she is too small.) Olivia loved the fish, the crawfish, the water rushing past her as she walked in the shallow areas, the bubble formed in the "rapids", and all the butterflies and flowers. We had a great time. I didn't think to bring the camera.

Friday night, Heidi and Alex made it in and we got to visit. Saturday, after playing at Steph's with the kids in the morning, we put up peaches at Mom's in the afternoon. Again, no pictures. I have a short video that doesn't do anyone justice, so I haven't posted it. Here is Craig, Abby, and Olivia sharing a snack while the rest of us were pealing and slicing peaches. Craig and Abby did great with Olivia even though there is quite a gap in ages between them. Craig, especially, wanted to play with Olivia. Abby, though, was really up Olivia's alley because they both constantly wanted to play outside--with the dogs, on the deck, on the playhouse "fort", on the slide, or in the flower bed even though it was extremely hot.



Saturday night we had our family friends, the Walshes, and my brother and his family out for dinner at Steph's. It was wonderful to see my nephews Jackson, who is just five months younger than Olivia, and Wilson, who is already nine, and my neice, Madeline, who is so pretty and looking so grown up at sixteen. It was wonderful to see my friend Erin and her family, as well. It would be so nice to be able to pop up there and then pop back. Too bad it isn't that easy.

Olivia loved the cows. Dad went with Olivia and me out to Steph and Brandon's pasture, took off his belt, and put it around Abby's show cow "Brownie." Olivia pet the cow and I think Dad got a picture. She kept saying, "Moo, mooo!"

Sunday, we made it over to Jane's house for a visit, and Olivia loved exploring her place and playing with whatever she could find--picture frames, bubbles, books, exercise balls, etc. Uncle Charlie, Aunt Judy, and Grandma Haaga came to visit, too. Olivia continued to want to go outside to play. I really should have taken pictures, but I was pretty tired most of the trip.

Monday, we visited with Grandpa Bill on our way out of town. Olivia danced to some music and was enthralled with the bird sculpture in the back yard.

We left Louisville at 1:30 central time. We didn't get home until 11:00. It should have taken about seven hours, it took almost ten. It was a long, long trip. We got stuck in standstill traffic for almost two hours. I was VERY thankful that Steph suggested I borrow Mom's small DVD player and that I had enough gas to run the air conditioning. I don't know that I will be making the trip by myself again. I'll fly with Olivia or drive with Nicholas from now on.

1 comment :

  1. Wow! I'm exhausted just reading about your trip! Sounds like you had a great time though.

    ReplyDelete