Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Baby talk

I haven't devoted a post to the new Baby since announcing we were pregnant, so I thought I would remedy that. This pregnancy has been different from the first in a lot of ways and the same in many, too. Be forewarned, if you are a man, you may not care to read this since it is littered with pregnancy symptoms. In fact, if you have more than one child, you may not care to read this since it is probably old news to you.



Similarities:
  • Same nausea and vomiting as with Olivia, but it happened later. I am hoping that it is ending sooner. I have a prescription for Zofran, which helps. I have only been taking it occasionally (since I only need it occasionally now) since it was prescribed last Tuesday. I recall being nauseous with Olivia past sixteen weeks.
  • Fatigue. I was so tired when I was pregnant with Olivia that at seven weeks, we hired someone to clean our house once. This time, at seven weeks, I found someone to come twice a month. I feel guilty about it now that I am less tired, but I am not getting rid of her!
  • Again, it seems that the biggest thing that I am nervous about this time around is work. That seems weird given how little I work, but I am just not sure how or if I am going to be able to manage working and two little ones.

    Differences:
  • Less back pain early in pregnancy.
  • With Olivia, I had a positive pregnancy test on day 23 of my cycle. With Baby, it was around day 31. I took one five days earlier, and it was negative. Everything (except showing) is happening a little later this time around, which seems counter intuitive to me.
  • All the breast changes associated with pregnancy were one of my first symptoms with Olivia, but they didn't start occurring this time until about 11 weeks. I read that this is normal for second and later pregnancies because the tissue formation that was occurring early in pregnancy in the first pregnancy has already occurred, so things happen later.
  • Unfortunately or fortunately, I am less focused on this pregnancy, meaning that I am not thinking of Baby and life after Baby most of the day as I did with Olivia. This also means that I feel less pregnant. As of this last trip, though, I am starting to "feel" pregnant since I can feel my belly protruding now. I am ready for Baby to start kicking to make his/her presence known!
  • Last time I craved Coke Zero, and allowed myself one or two 12-ounce servings per week. This time, I don't want it at all. But, a couple of ounces of real Coke sound good every now and then--maybe every couple of weeks. But not more than a couple of ounces or I feel sick.
  • I am less nervous about what to expect, but I am more nervous (perhaps) about those first six weeks since I had such a rough experience breastfeeding Olivia. I am hoping to be successful with Baby #2, but I figure I have more on my plate already having Olivia. My goal is six months with Baby #2, but I am going to be more relaxed about the "all or nothing" approach. If I don't produce enough milk again, my goal is to try to breastfeed a couple of times a day for as long as is feasible.
  • Last time, I was sure that I wanted to have a no-med labor. I wasn't sure if I could do it, but I was sure I wanted it. This time, I am sure I can do it, but I am not sure I want it!

    And this is my pledge to do better eating and doing yoga for Baby. I ate really well with Olivia after I was able to eat more normally around 14 weeks. I am going to try to do as well this time. And I did yoga several times a week--once at the studio and the others at home or at my office at lunch. The studio has been bought out and prenatal yoga is not being offered. So, my goal is to do it at least twice a week (and hopefully three times) in the evenings.

    People had mixed feelings about all my belly pictures from last time around. I can guarantee there will be fewer, but I am going to at least take the standard black pants, no face pictures at the same intervals as before so I can compare. The "seven-week" photos look almost identical. I'll wait until fourteen weeks to post two at a time. I can tell the fourteen week photos will be different.
  • 4 comments :

    1. Your kids are different, so of course your pregnancies are too!
      No guilt. None. Completely unproductive. Divest yourself of guilt now! Second child always gets less time and energy, but gets as much love, and MORE wisdom and perspective!
      Having someone else clean your house is always a good idea. Period.
      My personal philosophy about parenting and life: Everything is about conserving and best using your three resources: time, energy, and money. When you boil it down to that, it can help make decisions clearer. (Actually, I adopted that philosophy from MY mom, so it's time tested!)

      ReplyDelete
    2. Who doesn't love belly pictures?!?! I'm waiting anxiously for them!

      ReplyDelete
    3. My sisters and you, Stacey, may be the only ones who care for them!

      ReplyDelete