Monday, July 11, 2011

Mommy confessions

Olivia still uses a bottle. Multiple times a day. I had her off bottles during the day in May. But then, while Nicholas was away and she got really sick, she wouldn't drink. I got worried and brought back the bottle. Now, I can't get it away from her.

We are first trying to get rid of the one night bottle. We are almost there. Three nights ago, after doing the Ferber method of reducing milk by one ounce until she doesn't wake up, she didn't wake up, and took a cup in the morning. Two nights ago, she woke once and took about two ounces of water from a bottle, and took a cup in the morning. Last night, she slept until four and took one ounce of milk before I could get her to go back to sleep. I do think it is working. It is just taking time.

So, now to get rid of the other bottles. I tried just taking it away before the morning nap, but that was disastrous. She would not take that morning nap. Now I am trying to "Ferber" the naps by giving a cup of milk about 30 minutes before nap time and then, if she insists, finish with a couple of ounces of milk in a bottle. We'll see how that goes.

My goal is to be done with ALL bottles by her 15-month appointment. Wish us luck! That's less than a month away.

To finish on a positive note, here is a picture of Olivia in the car after taking her hands from her face. She was playing Peek-a-boo with me.



Which leads me to another mommy confession. We have turned the car seat to face forward. Olivia and I couldn't stand it another minute, so we turned it on our vacation to Clemson. She is SO much happier in the car. And I am justifying it because I figure Olivia is as big as a slightly below average two-year-old. (The law says kids must be rear-facing until 20 lbs and one year. The APA recommendation is that they stay rear-facing until age two.) The average two year old is 34 inches tall and 27 lbs. Olivia is 33 inches tall and 25 lbs.

2 comments :

  1. Good job. You've evaluated risks, weighed costs and benefits, and made responsible parenting decisions. These are little "mommy confessions" in a lifetime of compromises, battles, defeats, and victories. No worries.

    ReplyDelete