Tuesday, November 19, 2013

My new favorite crockpot recipe

This is a recipe from the kids' school fund raiser cook book that I tried last week. It's easy, and so yummy that even Leo ate an adult size portion!

Chicken with Corn and Black Beans

1 lb chicken breasts
1 can corn (Mexicorn, white corn, yellow corn, whatever)
1 can black beans -- drained
1 large jar of salsa

Put all ingredients in crock pot. Cook on low 5-6 hours until chicken is totally done and very tender. Shred chicken with forks. Serve with rice or chips, top with cheese or sour cream if desired.





3 comments :

  1. This is one of Mike's favorite meals that I make! Ours has a few more ingredients, but same idea. Here's the recipe along with some other freezer crock pot meals (the only other one I've tried is the beef stew ... pretty good too!). Have you tried the crock pot freezer cooking trend?

    http://www.sixsistersstuff.com/2012/09/slow-cooker-freezer-meals-make-8-meals.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried it once, but they didn't turn out as well as I had hoped. I think I should try it again but test the recipes first. I think I just used some ingredients that ruined it for Nicholas--onions, to be specific! It is a terrific time saver, though!

      Delete
  2. I made the recipe as you had it, Christine, and add a bit 1/4 c of ricotta cheese to cut the spice for the kids. I've seen a similar recipe, sometimes called Santa Fe Chicken, that is identical but for the addition of cream cheese right after shredding (which I didn't have, hence the ricotta).
    We liked it. Tony was neutral. I served it with quinoa made in the rice cooker with chicken broth and lime juice.

    ReplyDelete