Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Things I've been meaning to write down

No new pictures from today, although there are a couple on Mom's camera of Leo in his new (from Aunt Beki) little tent. He napped in it on Mom's deck while I clipped Ringo's hair. This 86 degree heat was too much for him with all that hair!

About Leo:

I took Leo to the doctor a couple of weeks ago for a rash, which turned out to be an indeterminate thing newborns sometimes get. Could be a heat rash. Could be a virus. Who knows? But the point was that he weighed 11 lbs 1 ounce, and that was 22 days after his 2 week check up. So, he had gained 20 ounces in 22 days. (Up from 9 lbs 13 ounces at his 2 week check up.) Pretty good for being all breast fed since day 7! And the breastfeeding is going pretty well. I've surpassed my first goal of six weeks. Prior to six weeks I had been pumping behind every feeding because Leo never emptied me, but that was adding to the problem because I was producing more since I was pumping. Feeding Leo and pumping was taking up to an hour each time and he was eating every two to three hours. That was rough trying to entertain Olivia. Now, I pump only when he is really lazy and twice during the night. I have several GALLONS of breast milk in the freezer. This shocks me because of my low supply with Olivia. I mostly just allow him 15 minutes on each side and I try to make him wait three hours between feedings. Yesterday and today we had several two hour intervals, but I think that is a fluke. I love it when it is three hours between feedings and he only takes 25 minutes to nurse. I feel like my whole day opens up!

Night time feedings are stretching out, and on a good night, he might nurse at 8:30 PM, 12:30 AM, 4:30 AM and 7:30 AM. On a bad night, I am so tired that I bring him to bed with me and I let him nurse while I am laying down, we both fall asleep, and he wakes to nurse every hour and a half because he wasn't finished before he fell asleep. I am attempting to use the strategies of "12 Hours Sleep by 12 Weeks of Age". I'll keep you posted on how that goes. I don't have to do much until he is 8 weeks old, so it hasn't been hard. I am supposed to not let him nurse more frequently than every three hours, and I am working on that.

Leo continues to be my "easy" baby. He plays with his mobile, sits looking at me or others for long periods of time (tens of minutes), doesn't cry when he wets, and smiles after nursing. He gets fussy when he is hungry or tired, but so do I! He goes through about 12 diapers a day now. He is in some 3 month clothes and some 6 month clothes. I'll be very interested to see how much he weighs at his 2 month appointment because he looks like he is getting so much bigger to me. Oh! And I think his hair is going to be curly! It curls after baths and the longer part on top holds the curls until I pet his head during nursing.

Really devout blog readers will remember that I read to Olivia for hours and hours when she was a baby while she played on her playmat. I have lamented not being able to do so with Leo because there is no way that Olivia would tolerate it. I have figured out a way to read to him, though. I do it while nursing on times that I am not entertaining Olivia. We have read Charlotte's Web, I Have Lived a Thousand Years, Heidi, and we are about half way through Matilda.

About Olivia:

The explosion of vocabulary has occurred and her sentence structure continues to improve. The other day when I asked if she wanted more chicken, she said, "Mommy, I do not need more chicken." Seriously. Ask Stephanie. Other quotes from her lately:


  • Actually, I go outside. (After she had told me she would stay inside.)
  • That's perfect. (She says this a lot about whatever she is doing.)
  • I do homework, too! (When Craig has to do his homework.)
  • Of course! (She often says this instead of "yes". As in, do you want more milk?)


    Her physicality has also taken amazing strides since spending so much time with Craig and Abby. She goes up and down stairs by herself with ease. She climbs into her booster seat at the table by herself. She runs, dances, jumps, and tries to "ride bike" by balancing on the seat while someone pushes her.
  • 1 comment :

    1. Second children are amazing!!! I'm so glad that Olivia is having a taste of older brothers and sisters too! Win-win!
      Thanks for all the great info on Leo!

      ReplyDelete