Thursday, October 16, 2014

Status updates

Nicholas


Nicholas is badass! He went to a conference for his research area in Victoria, Canada during the first part of the month, and while he was there, he was named program chair for that conference in 2016. Plus he was asked to apply to be director of a computer science program at a university in NY, which is by invitation only. Kudos to you, honey! We are super proud of you and excited about what this move has meant for your career and for our family!

Also, Nicholas has his braces off as of last week!!! He's had them on since just after Olivia was born, so the kids don't know him any other way. Leo keeps asking him to put "those things on your teeth" back on, but I am sure he will get used to his new smile, which I love, soon!



And finally, Nicholas has been Mr. Fix It around here and Mr. Pick Up The Slack as I get fatter and more bossy. He stayed home from our Indiana trip in part to paint Leo's room orange and Baby's room blue. He also sealed grout, put up curtains, and did other stuff that just needed to be done. Pictures to follow.

Olivia


Olivia is loving school! She has learned to write her name SO much better than she had been able to do it. What I am most proud of, though, is how well she seems to be making friends and dealing with new situations. She continues to be very observant of everyone at school, and usually makes a daily report of anything unusual! Her school is doing "LetterLand," which is what most NC schools use in Kindergarten through second grade to learn letters and sounds, and she is excited to learn the songs that go with each letter. She already knows all her letters and sounds, but is getting more with writing them and seeing them in more words.

Olivia started a gymnastics/dance class this week, which she says is the class for her. It is fifteen minutes of tap, fifteen minutes of ballet, and thirty minutes of gymnastics. She had a great time! And it is totally low-key...no recital at the end, no commitment to sign up all year, etc. I'm glad we found it!


Leo

Leo is talking up a storm at school and at home. His teachers said that they are amazed that he will tell full stories and said, "That's not typical for our two-year-old room." In fact, that is probably what keeps him awake--as Stephanie noticed on the ride home from the zoo--when he might normally nap. He has given up his daily nap for the most part--maybe once or twice a month, he still will nap.

Leo is SO ready for potty training, but is stubborn and doesn't want to do it. He tells me when he needs to poop and goes and finds a place to do it. If I get too close, he says, "Stay out of my pooping spot!" He keeps his diaper dry for hours, but I cannot get him to go on the potty. Even when I get him to sit on it, he can't seem to go even when it looks like he is trying. Then he soaks his diaper so much it leaks. I think I am going to have to bite the bullet and do the "three-day-challenge" and get him trained pre-baby.

Christine & Baby

I very often question how stay-at-home-moms (or moms in general) do it all: keep a clean, organized house, spend good, quality time with the kids, document the journey, have time for their husbands, continue their friendships, contribute to their kids' school, stay organized and on top of bills and money, do fun things with family and friends, stay groomed, stay fit, serve healthy meals, and sleep. And I have even more recently come to the conclusion that they don't. Something has to give. And for me that has been blogging and my house cleaning has taken a hit in favor of sleep. My body is calling a time-out! Wednesday of last week before our Indiana trip, I felt so badly with Braxton Hicks contractions that I called Nicholas to meet me at my OB's office. When I called to complain about the frequency of contractions, they said to come in. Nicholas took the kids home to play, while they put me on the contraction monitor and did an ultrasound. The good news is that Baby is growing well and is measuring a week and a half ahead, my placenta moved way out of the way so that I won't need to have a c-section, and my contractions aren't changing anything to predict pre-term labor. The bad news is that I have an "irritable uterus" that seems to start a contraction every five minutes or so. At least that is what was happening on the monitor. I know it isn't like that every hour of the day since I can feel it, but it is exhausting that there are hours of every day that it is happening. Sigh. So, more laying-down time for me is what I need, but there is just. so. much. to. do!

4 comments :

  1. Thanks for the great update. I'm glad you are all doing well, and I'm super thankful are moving yourself up on the priority list!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Juliet. There's always so much to do. You do what you can while dealing with an irritable uterus. Seriously, I don't know how you do as much stuff as you do even without it.

    Also, Yay Nicholas. That is awesome. Being a conference program chair is a ton of work, but I'm sure he can do it! Hopefully he has a good committee to help out with all the details.
    I love that Olivia found a gymnastics class that is fun for her and easy on you!
    It does sound like Leo is getting ready. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love all the updates!!! congrats to your hubbie - that is awesome news! and as a fellow SAHM ....I agree. there is NO way to do it all! I am with you....dust bunnies don't bother me as much as they used to :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are Supermom! Hang in there and take some time for yourself.

    ReplyDelete