Tuesday, August 6, 2013

What else we've been doing for the past month

When we weren't sick, or sometimes when we were but had to get out of the house, we did a little bit of this and that....


We found new playgrounds...This one is at the Northport Civic Center, and was super fun one afternoon right before a rainstorm. Olivia even made it half way across the monkey bars!


We took lots of rides in the wagon to the playground, and sometimes ended up in the pool! I've learned to throw in their swim suits even when I think we won't go!


We washed the truck, had the alternator fixed, and got a new battery, so it is running again, per our HOA request. (Jerks!) Olivia was a great "helper"! At least she had a great time and looked cute doing it!

We had lots of pretend playtime... I can't even remember what was being said here! Surely something sassy!


We started a toy tub exchange with a group of moms I know. (We trade a tub of toys with for a couple of weeks and then continue to pass along with new toys. This is great since we have so many toys that the kids have stopped playing with, but will once they are gone for a while. When we got our toys back after two weeks, they were "new" again! And we had a ball playing with other kids' toys! We have a new tub now and exchanged other toys, too.)


More new playgrounds. This is a great one right by the Northport Airport!



I finally got the kids' thank-you gifts for their teachers made. I attached kids' art and thank you notes, and they looked super cute. Thanks Heidi for the recipe!! I totally was off my A-game in May due to Nicholas's surgery.


Olivia and Leo continue to play together super well! Olivia has learned how to climb up the "stairs" in the back of the big slide at our neighborhood playground, and Leo can do the little one by himself, so I can just sit back and take pictures! Heavenly!




And they play in Leo's crib. They bounce, they laugh, they pretend to be kitty cats and pretend to sleep!


And they play in Olivia's big girl bed, giggling and laughing! Olivia is Rupunzel here! This is when the bed was still in the office, where it has been for a year waiting for Olivia to be ready.


Two Mondays ago, Nicholas's REU (Research Experience for Undergraduates--funded by the National Science Foundation--we are proud of you, honey!) students came over for the second BBQ of the summer. Nicholas warned them that we were sick, but they still wanted to come and (1) see the kids and (2) hear Nicholas's record player! I didn't get pictures while they were here, but here is a picture of them Nicholas took of them outside his building. Olivia LOVED the girls, and Leo loved listening to and dancing to the music (mostly Red Hot Chili Peppers) with the boys!

And Olivia learned to wash records and helped Nicholas wash his one new one! She had seen him wash the records that his students brought before he played them, and wanted to help!


Olivia and I also did some bead work while Leo was napping one day. She loved it, and could do it herself! She is getting so grown up!


And, of course, Olivia is a little mommy who thinks she can handle anything. The other day she told me, "Mommy, when I grow up, I can put Leo down for a nap for you. Then you can just go to sleep!" This is when I was sick and I was thinking that sounded pretty good! 

Lately Leo has been showing some potty training readiness signs. He tells me when he needs to go to the bathroom. I haven't actually got him to go on the little potty yet, but he tells me when he needs to poop, does it, and tells me again so I can change his diaper. He's also been saying, "I go tee-tee!" when he needs to pee. (Yes, it's strange. People in the South say "tee-tee" so that is what Olivia says, thus that is what I say.) Anyway, the other day when Leo said he needed to go, Olivia said, "I'll take care of it, Mommy. You just leave us alone!" So, I did. Here is the result:


No, Leo did not go, but he is getting some good "practice!"


And I want to brag on these two for playing by themselves for minutes at a time, and for their love of reading. Olivia and Leo request books a lot. This tickles me out of Leo, and I would love to get a picture of them both reading in the living room on their own. Someday! It seems that when I enter the area, the "reading" stops and they want me to read to them. 


Olivia has been building some pretty cool "towers" of dominoes lately. I am pretty impressed as I cannot do this! They are tricky little pieces!




We finally got the big girl bed into Olivia's room two Sundays ago, and she hasn't slept in her toddler bed since! We kept it in her room just in case, but plan to move it to the attic this weekend, and move her kitchen set back where it was. Both my babies just keep growing up!! (The secret is that they just keep getting more fun, too!) We've had lots of fun pretend games in here--showing horses and putting them back in the stable is the latest favorite!





And, sweet Leo, is growing up, too! He is starting to call out in the morning saying, "Mommy! Daddy! I get up!" He says, "Puffs! Pease!!!" when he wants yogurt puffs. He is repeating A LOT! Olivia got him to say "purple" today and it actually sounded like it. He says Olivia's name like "Livia." And we put away the high chair today and just set up the booster seat for him. He loves it!


2 comments :

  1. SO much to comment on !! But that picture of them both on the potty sticks out in my mind. TOO CUTE! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok ... there is a photo of Brad and me on the toilets just like that! Priceless! I almost put it in the slideshow I made for his rehearsal dinner, but it was equally embarrassing of me so I nixed that idea. Ha! Will be great when they get older! Also, "tee-tee"?? LOL!

    Looks like you guys have been having a ton of fun. You are such a great Mama!

    ReplyDelete